Wednesday 29 October 2014

A not so Mellow Yellow-legged Gull

A first encounter with a Yellow-legged Gull last week proved to be one of the sparse highights of late. I'd been hearing a lot about these recently, with a few poppng up in my area. I'm gradually getting into the gulls, but struggling a bit with all the juvy plumages. However there was little doubt in my mind when i squinted down the lens at this bird. Thanks to Simon Kidner for the initial spot, and drawing my attention to it, from the hide at Middlebere.
 At the weekend Chris and myself managed another brilliant haul of fungi, with a lot of interesting specimens to inspect. Below are some Coprinus micaceus 'Glistening Inkcaps", which i originally mis-identified in a pique of over-confidence. (Thanks Adrian).
This is just one of the three Suillus species found on the day. Suillus luteus or 'Slippery Jack'.
Under dark mixed woods at Bryantspuddle lurked this troop of Collybia butyracea v. asema, or 'Butter Caps'. So called, because they look as though they have a dob of melted butter on top.
I apologise for the sparse blog this time, maybe soon i'll get my act together,,, bye for now,,, Frank Gardiner (king of the inappropriate comment).. :-)

1 comment:

Happy New Year

Just like to wish all my friends, contacts, fellow tortoise riders, and arch enemies a fantastic new year, with lots of great wildlife encou...