Thursday 15 May 2014

Little and Large

At the end of a good birding week, and with a couple of 'lifers' under my stressed belt, i am a happy lad today. Had a couple of hours up at Blashford Lakes today, and my first ever Little Ringed Plover performed a treat. Parading in front of the Tern hide, all but asking which side i wanted him from. A super little bird.







He was the undoubted star of the show today, but at one stage four of these little ducklings came by. Traveling without parents, so a bit unusual, and in a lake that is home to 20 pound carp. Can you guess what species it is?




Earlier in the week i was lucky enough to stumble on another wader i've never seen before. A Whimbrel dropped in at Ferrybridge. Barely visible in the habitat, their camo is amazing.



2 comments:

  1. Excellent to see a Little Ringed Plover, I haven`t, the other day over on Portland the Wimbrel were in the fields at Barleycrates, I didn`t see them only heard them as they flew off.
    Another great blog mate catch you when I get back from my holiday

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year

Just like to wish all my friends, contacts, fellow tortoise riders, and arch enemies a fantastic new year, with lots of great wildlife encou...