Monday 1 September 2014

There's Always a Chance at Loddy

I've been giving Loddy a lot of my time lately, and its been largely quiet, hence the abysmal lack of interesting blog entries. Saying this,,, with Loddy, there is always that half chance that something interesting will fly in. I know that for your birding purists the arrival of a Bar-headed Goose at Loddy will cause a sneering distain among some of the tickers, but i am always interested in arrivals of this sort. One,,, because it breaks the Canada Goose monotony, and two,, because no-one can be really sure of where an un-ringed bird originated from. These geese are native to India, and are known to be spreading west, so i reckon dismissing it as an escapee is a bit 'closed minded'.


So that's my 'high horse' bit done, and on to the other fly-ins last week. Two Redshanks flew in for a brief visit, sadly i only managed record shots. I was puzzled as to the species, and consulted with a birder at the time. I do have a job telling 'Spotted' from winter and juvenile, and blah blah blah. In the end we settled on 'Spotted' which i would go along with. I'd like some input on this because i value informed opinion. From a togging perspective, i just wish they could have been closer.



Most of the other shots i got this week were of dancing Herons, juveniles of one sort or another, and geese. Hundreds of Canadas at Loddy now. This is 'Fuffykins' the juvy Little Egret.


Breaking News,,, my Loddy correspondent informs me that a number of Spoonbills have arrived.

3 comments:

  1. I noticed a dancing Heron on your Flickr photostream when Rose was looking at it. I thought it may have been auditioning for Strictly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure about ID ing Spotted Redshanks, but this looks like a cracking record shot Frank, that`s the thing about Loddie, you never know what is going to be around the corner, might even find a couple of Old Coots knocking about with Cameras :-)

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year

Just like to wish all my friends, contacts, fellow tortoise riders, and arch enemies a fantastic new year, with lots of great wildlife encou...