Thursday 29 May 2014

Transitional Experiments

This is always a strange time in the year for me. Not really wanting to let the birds go, but knowing that the woodlanders will become increasingly difficult to photograph as the foliage closes the canopies over. I know that as the breeding season gets into full swing, many birds will be worked around the clock, feeding young and themselves. This in turn often gives them a scruffy, worn appearance that will only be changed after their next moult later in the year, so i tend to give the passerines a bit of space at this time. The pull of the insects (butterflies and dragonflies) becomes increasingly irresistable, and soon i'll be shooting them, almost exclusively.
      So, with this at the back of my mind, and with a great urge to capture even better shots of the insects this summer, i started experimenting with my macro gear. What i wanted, was a method whereby i can 'stand off' three or four feet (to avoid flyaways), and still get some really close macro shots. My mistake in the last couple of weeks,, was thinking (hoping) that i'd be able to 'hand hold' my 300mm f4.
      As i have found by my patchy, sometimes dismal results, 'hand holding' a 300mm non VR lens, with a 20mm tube behind it, needs an impossibly steady hand. I'm not saying its not possible, as the picture of a fly below confirms,,, just difficult to the point of foolishness.
       So now i'm back with my trusty monopods again, after trying one of Chris's shoulder stocks, which he kindly lent me to trial. Sadly (sorry mate), i couldn't seem to handle the shoulder stock either. On reflection this combo obviously needs good support, and maybe as i get older and even more unsteady i'll be forced back to a tripod.

Snipe Fly, Nikon D300s, 300mm f4 with 20mm ext. tube, and small flashgun. (Hand held).

4 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with this Frank, cracking capture, I, as you know have been using extension tubes for a while, but I have noticed recently that it is difficult to get a true DOF using for them, still a very handy tool to have though, I wish I had enough cash in the attic to buy a 180 macro, but heyho happy days mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super shot Frank, beautifully sharp under the circumstances. I guess I'm going to find the same issue if I ever move into shooting the small stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting read Frank. With my forthcoming retirement I'm starting to think more about next Summer and spending some time doing a bit of close-up / macro photography. I've done a little bit with moderate success, but have never devoted enough thought and energy into the process. It's been more a case of using the camera and lens I have with me rather than going out armed with the right gear. Stupid really when I have the 105mm micro lens, TC's and full macro flash kit ! However, I note you also have the 105mm micro, but still favour the 300mm f/4. All the best, and please keep up the blog writing, as it's always good to check what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year

Just like to wish all my friends, contacts, fellow tortoise riders, and arch enemies a fantastic new year, with lots of great wildlife encou...