Friday 11 April 2014

Birdfest at Portland

Well, the spring migration is in full flow, with lots of birds making landfall on Portland. Wheatear numbers are up quite a bit since my last post, but i STILL haven't got a shot i'm happy with. Gotta get closer,,,, somehow. I wish i could just disappear into the ground (Radar style), but i'm really not built for open ground stealth. I thought that maybe i could hide under a green blanket, but someone would no doubt mistake me for an Iron Age burial mound. With loads of small birds coming to the Bill, the local raptors are having a field day, just waiting for a tired one to dine on.

This Meadow Pipit perched on a rock, right beside my car, and below a beautiful male Redstart popped up in the distance. I might have to go back to Portland again soon, for a better shot of him.



2 comments:

  1. Great series of shots Frank. The headline shot is a stunner. Good luck with the Wheatears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you've re-opened the blog Frank. Particularly liked this post and picturing you blending into the background under your green blanket.

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year

Just like to wish all my friends, contacts, fellow tortoise riders, and arch enemies a fantastic new year, with lots of great wildlife encou...